S Corporations: How To Avoid Common And Often Overlooked Pitfalls
|Date / Time:
The S corporation is an attractive type of entity in that it offers limited liability for its shareholders while avoiding the double taxation experienced by C corporations.
However, there are several requirements that must be met in order for companies to do business as S corporations that, if not met, may result in undesirable consequences. These pitfalls may lead to termination of the S election and additional tax for the corporation or the shareholder, or both.
Furthermore, given the tumultuous legislative environment, the tax rules that apply to S corporations and their shareholders are constantly changing, providing both pitfalls and opportunities.
This webinar helps the S corporation shareholder or professional services provider understand the tax rules that govern S corporations and their shareholders and avoid unintended consequences.
We will highlight common transactions that have negative, but avoidable, impacts and will also present opportunities for S corporations and their shareholders that exist in the current regulatory environment.
This webinar is critical for business owners and professional service providers so they can ensure proper operation of their business from a tax perspective and quality tax services for their clients.
Corporate and Shareholder Requirements
- One Class of Stock
Entity Level Taxes
- Importance of Basis
- Stock Basis; Debt Basis
Reasonable Compensation to Shareholder
- Built-in Gains Tax
- Excess Net Passive Income
- LIFO Recapture
- Reasonable Compensation - Significant Employment Tax Savings by Making Distributions
- Unreasonable Compensation
- Negative Economic Consequences of Reducing Compensation
- Election to Distribute CE&P Before AAA
- Deemed Dividend Election
- Passive Activity Groupings
Aubrey C. Markota
Melissa M. Pozniak
- Manager in the Business Tax Services Group of Deloitte Tax LLP
- Worked for Deloitte for more than eight years, of which two were overseas, two were in Miami and the remaining years in Cleveland
- More than eight years of tax compliance and consulting experience for both public and private companies, corporate returns in manufacturing and gaming industries, estate and gift tax matters, trust taxation, state and local tax compliance, and tax provision review
- CPA and a member of Ohio Society of CPAs and AICPA
- B.S. degree in accounting, The University of Akron
- Tax partner leading Cleveland's Private Company Services Practice and the leader of Cleveland's Investment Management Practice
- Focuses on serving private equity, hedge funds and real estate clients
- Worked for Deloitte Tax LLP for more than 16 years, of which she spent eight years in Cincinnati and the past eight years in Cleveland
- Serves various clients in the Cleveland office including The Sinclair Group, Blue Point Capital, Pictet North America, Merchants Gate Capital, Libra Associates and M.D. Sass
- CPA and a member of Ohio Society of CPAs and AICPA
- B.S. degree, Miami University
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Critical Selling® Skills Sales Training Seminar
Texas All-Lines Adjuster Pre-Licensing ONLINE Course
Xactimate Training-Live Online Training
Workers′ Comp Training Seminar
How Workers′ Compensation Works (Comprehensive 11-Module Course)
FMLA Training &Certification Program
Reasonable Or Unreasonable? How To Determine What Is A Reasonable Accomodation
Surplus Lines Online Exam Prep Course
CFP® Review │ Premium Live Exam Prep Course
Qualified Financial Advisor (QFA)
Associate in General Insurance (AINS)
Associate in Premium Auditing (APA)