PBGC Reportable Events: What You Need To Know About The New Rules
|Date / Time:
Pension plans and the companies who sponsor them are required to give the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) notice of Reportable Events - events and transactions affecting either the company or the plan that may signal financial problems and potentially put pensions at risk.
Employers need to know when a reportable event occurs and when to file with the PBGC. Failing to recognize and timely file a notice of reportable event can subject a company to penalties of up to $1,100 per day of delay.
This webinar explains the new reportable event definitions under the PBGC regulations that went into effect January 1, 2016. Learn the expanded waiver provisions that employers need to know, deadlines for post event notices and advance notices, and new PBGC forms for reportable events.
Learn what the employer needs to know to comply with the new reportable event rules and avoid PBGC problems, what actions the PBGC is likely to take after a reportable event filing, and how to negotiate with PBGC in the event of threatened PBGC action. This is vital information for any employer with a defined benefit pension plan.
What Is a Reportable Event?
New Rules for Reportable Events Effective January 1, 2016
- ERISA Requirements and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation Regulations
- Role of PBGC in Insuring Pension Benefits and Termination of Pensions.
- Purpose of Reportable Event Filings
- Liabilities for Parent Corporation and Subsidiaries
Negotiating With PBGC Over Reportable Events
- Events That Trigger Duty to File, PBGC Forms
- Events That Trigger Advance Reporting
- Penalties for Failing to File
- Waivers: Low Default Risk, Well-Funded Plan, Small Plan, Public Company
About The Presenters
- What Action Does PBGC Take After the Reportable Event Filing?
- How Should the Employer Respond to the PBGC?
- What Powers Does the PBGC Have to Force Compliance?
James P. McElligott, Jr.
Robert B. Wynne
- Partner with McGuireWoods LLP
- Practice includes defense of class action claims of ERISA fiduciary breach; representation of employers before and in litigation with the PBGC; multi-employer plan withdrawals and mass withdrawals; ERISA “stock-drop” litigation; retiree medical claims; severance claims; “top hat” litigation; ERISA 510; and HIPAA privacy and security litigation
- Has litigated in federal district and appellate courts, in Tax Court, in bankruptcy courts, and has handled matters before and in litigation with the NLRB, the EEOC, and the Department of Labor
- Member of the Employee Benefits Committee of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, management co-chair of the Employee Benefit Claims subcommittee of the ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law; former president of the Federal Bar Association, Richmond Chapter, and former president of the Central Virginia Employee Benefits Council
- Has a national ERISA litigation and arbitration practice; is a fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Attorneys; and is listed in Best Lawyers in America, under ERISA, ERISA litigation, labor law, and employment law; received the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory for labor and employment law; is a “Leading Lawyer for Business," labor and employment: employee benefits and compensation in Chambers USA, 2008 to 2015; and "Virginia Super Lawyers," employee benefits/ERISA, employment and labor, 2007 to 2015
- J.D. degree, cum laude and served as note editor for the Harvard Journal on Legislation, Harvard Law School; graduate, Phi Beta Kappa, University of Illinois
- Associate with McGuireWoods LLP
- Practices in the firm’s tax and employee benefits department, where he advises public and private clients with respect to the design and administration of retirement and welfare plans, compensation arrangements, and compliance requirements
- Represents clients in interactions with several government agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service, the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation and the Department of Labor
- J.D. degree, University of North Carolina; LL.M. degree in tax, Georgetown University Law Center; graduate, Phi Beta Kappa, Sewanee: The University of the South
Cannot Attend The Live Presentation?
This presentation is also available in a recorded format, in CD version, as shown in the pricing options below.
|About Webcasts / Audio Conferences / Podcasts:|
Webcasts, audio conferences, and podcasts are presentations that you
attend via the Internet, phone, or mobile device at a specified date and time for "live" versions, or at your convenience for "recorded" and "On-Demand" versions.
versions are interactive, meaning that participants can ask questions in real time, plus are a very cost-effective form of training because 1) you receive fast, convenient learning without
any out-of-office time; 2) you can invite as many colleagues as you'd like to listen in on a single phone line; 3) you incur no travel expenses; and 4) you and your colleagues are back
at work immediately after the session ends!
And though with recorded versions you do lose the ability to ask questions, you gain the ability to hear the presentation numerous
times and to share it with others in your office.
Handout materials and the phone number for live presentations are made available to you prior to the event via email from the
presenter and from the "MyAccount" link on the menu bar. Copies of the presentations are included with recorded versions.
|About The Provider:
||Lorman Education Services has provided educational seminars and online training for professionals since 1987.
Since then, we've kept thousands of professionals in the United States and internationally current on the most pressing topics in a rapidly changing marketplace of ideas. Like you, we understand the need for concise, accurate information.
That understanding underlies each Lorman course, presenting the latest information on the laws and regulations critical to your organization's successful daily operations.
Moreover, each course receives our painstaking attention to be certain both the faculty and participants receive the individual attention necessary to achieve maximum benefit from the materials.
||Contact Us For More Information
||Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
FMLA Training &Certification Program
ADA Training &Certification Program
Texas All-Lines Adjuster Pre-Licensing ONLINE Course
Xactimate Training-Live Online Training
Surplus Lines Online Exam Prep Course
Associate in Premium Auditing (APA)
Associate in General Insurance (AINS)
Earn Your CFP
Cafeteria Plan Training &Certification Program
Business Writing for Results
Critical TeleSelling™ Skills Sales Training Seminar