Are you in the process of obtaining your life and health insurance license? If so, select from our assortment of life and health insurance course offerings, study materials, and practice exams to help you prepare for your state's licensing exam. You'll gain the knowledge you need to sit for the exam with total confidence and dramatically improve your chances of passing on the first try. To find your state's licensing requirements, recommended training courses, and exam facilities, click your state link below.
Generally speaking, to become a licensed insurance agent in your state, you must first meet any basic state requirements such as age, passing a background check, etc. You then must take any state-required pre-licensing courses and pass your state's licensing exam.
A Life And Health (L&H) Insurance Agent (in some states, also known as "Life, Health, And Accident) sells Life, Disability, Long Term Care, Medicare, and other policies to groups and individuals. As a Life & Health Agent, you advise clients on what policies best suit their needs, tailor policies to fit their requirements, and help customers when they have questions or file a claim.
To find out about your state's licensing requirements, as well as recommended pre-licensing insurance classes and exam prep materials, either click on your state from the table above or use the search box below. Good luck passing your Life & Health insurance exam!
What Is A Life And Health Insurance License?
You must obtain a license if you wish to sell life and health insurance products in a specific state. A license demonstrates that you have an understanding of the fundamentals of these complex products and the ability to guide your clients in selecting the right insurance vehicles for their needs. You'll also need a license to meet your state's regulatory requirements and receive an appointment as an agent by an insurance provider. You can choose to get a separate life insurance license, a health insurance license or both.
Choose your state from the table below to learn more about the applicable life and health insurance licensing requirements and available insurance classes and exam prep product offerings.
You can also search under "licensing" in the box below by selecting "Insurance â€” Life and Health" and your specific state. How Do I Get A Life And Health Insurance License? Are Insurance Classes Required?
While the process varies slightly from state to state, in general, all applicants must complete an exam preparation course tailored to the types of products they wish to sell. Once you meet the exam prep and any other requirements, you can sit for the exam. You'll need to complete your insurance class and achieve a certain score (70% in most states) to pass and receive a Certificate of Completion.
Besides completing your insurance class and passing the exam, you will need to complete the following steps before you can receive your license and an official appointment by an insurance company or agency:
What Does The Life & Health Exam Cover?
- Licensing Application: You'll need to submit an application to the insurance licensing authority in your state and provide all the required information.
- Background Check: The state licensing body will check your background, which can entail your work, education and criminal history.
- Fingerprinting: As part of your background check, the state will request fingerprints to check against law enforcement agency records.
The life and health insurance exam encompasses the fundamentals of the various types of life insurance products, such as whole life, term life, universal life and annuities, as well as health insurance offerings such as PPOs, HMOs and Major Medical. You'll need to understand all the policy components, such as riders, exclusions, amendments and provisions and how they apply to real-world scenarios.
Most states also include questions regarding state-specific insurance regulations as well as the ethics of selling insurance products to ensure that agents meet the clients' needs.Is The Life & Health Exam Difficult?
Most people find the health and life insurance licensing exam to be challenging. Only about 50% percent of those who sit for the exam pass it on the first try. Much of the information covered by the exam is highly technical, and it requires many hours of study to understand and master the material. Proper life and health insurance exam prep will significantly improve the odds of a successful outcome.About Our Pre-Licensing Courses And Life And Health Insurance Exam Prep Materials
AB Training Center offers a wide range of exam preparation options for prospective life and health insurance licensees in every U.S. state, as well as Washington, D.C., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. We've partnered with well-known insurance licensing course providers to ensure the quality and relevance of our programs. Choose from the following formats and materials:
- Live Seminars: An in-person life and health exam class works well for individuals who prefer an instructor-led seminar format. You'll be able to ask questions if you need clarification on specific concepts or points, which can increase your understanding. You'll also have the opportunity to meet and network with other aspiring insurance professionals in your area, allowing you to make valuable contacts that can enhance your career prospects. You might even be able to form study groups with your classmates to further assist you in exam preparation.
- Online Classes: Online learning is an excellent choice for people who don't have time to attend an in-person life and health exam class or might not have access to one in their area. You'll have the flexibility to study wherever you have internet access. Online courses will also allow you to progress at your own pace without the pressure that some people experience in a classroom environment. Some programs offer instructor link access if you require interactive support. Practice exams are available to help you gauge your progress along the way.
- Self-Study Options: Our comprehensive self-study packages include a variety of resources, including books, manuals and supplemental guides designed for individuals who prefer working with printed materials instead of attending classes or taking online courses. You can also receive a printed certification exam that must be proctored by a disinterested third party who is not a friend, relative, business associate or prospective employer. We can ship the materials to your location within one to two days of your order.
Examples of the topics covered by our courses include:
Why Invest in Life and Health Insurance Training Classes?
- Fundamentals of life and health insurance
- Types of health and disability insurance policies
- Life insurance policies and annuities
- Policy provisions, riders and options
- State-specific life and health insurance regulations
You must first pass the life and health insurance licensing exam in the state you choose to obtain your life and health insurance license. Because life and health insurance licensing topics are mostly the same across states, there are best practices for preparing for the life and health insurance exam that apply to almost everyone.
First, investing in a life insurance training course is essential. While not all states require it, it's still highly recommended to take a pre-licensing life and health insurance class before your licensing exam. Life insurance training courses, such as the one offered by Agent Broker Training Center, help you stay on track with your study calendar and make sense of the test material.
It's also crucial to choose a life and health insurance license class that best aligns with or fits your learning style. At Agent Broker Training Center, we offer a variety of classes, including in-person live courses, online life insurance classes, OnDemand classes, self-study options and live seminars.
In addition to offering life and health insurance training courses, Agent Broker Training Center also provides continuing education courses to help you maintain your licenses and certifications. If you choose Agent Broker Training Center, you'll benefit from professional development products and services to help you boost job performance, stay in compliance with mandated rules and regulations and increase sales. We are committed to helping you throughout the preparation, exam and maintenance stages involved in the life cycle of a life and health insurance career.Take The Next Step Toward Getting Your Life And Health Insurance License
Get the high-quality life and health insurance license training you to need to launch your career as a professional sales agent. Explore the licensing programs available for your state, and enroll today. Feel free to contact us if you have questions or need more information.